Wednesday 22 September 2010

Still sunny but cooler...

Yesterday we left Moab early and headed west on I 70; as the scenery wasn't too inspiring, we listened to our story: we have a library copy of The Lost Symbol (by Dan Brown), on CD - we only listen to it on travel days, when there's not too much to look at, and when there isn't an important junction coming up.  That last rule was instituted after we missed an exit because the story was so riveting; we had to go five miles down the highway before we could get off and turn around!
It was easier driving through Salt Lake City in the early afternoon, rather than at rush hour, which had been the case on our way down.  We made it to Twin Falls, on the Snake river in Idaho, before stopping for the night.
Today we gained an hour soon after we arrived in Oregon, as we'd left Mountain time behind in Idaho. We stopped in Baker City to walk around the Historic District in the centre of town. At every corner there was a scarecrow and stalks of corn. We sure laughed when we read the posters for the Great Salt Lick Contest!
Though it was sunny, there was a hint of Fall in the air, and we realized we won't be able to put on shorts and sandals every morning, for much longer...
Signs we enjoyed today: Echo 1 mile; Black Cat Road.

1 comment:

catwilldo said...

Margaret! I've just read through several days of your blog and wow how exciting. And the scenery is spectacular, non? I love your writing, you manage to capture the spirit of the thing wherever you are.

When I finish my course in Spain late October I plan on reading your blog from the beginning while I"m traveling through Italy. Thanks for giving me something good to read on my trip!

love, cat